Spiritual Care at South Nassau
At South Nassau Communities Hospital, we recognize that pastoral counseling and other spiritual guidance can be an important part of care for you and your loved ones. We also know that you might want to continue religious practices while you’re here. So we offer a variety of spiritual care services for different faiths.
For quiet meditation and relaxation, we offer a multi-faith Meditation Room, on the main floor in the “C” corridor. And in your room, television channel 12 plays soothing music while showing relaxing images of nature. Channel 31 is the television channel of the Diocese of Rockville Centre.
Just let us know if you’d like us to notify your pastor, priest, rabbi or spiritual leader for you. And we can also contact our hospital Chaplain for you, as well.
Other Spiritual Care Services:
The Catholic Priest Chaplain is available for patients, visitors and staff Sunday through Thursday. On-call Catholic Priest Chaplains are available at other times. We will be happy to meet with you and your loved ones. We also distribute rosaries, Bibles (English and Spanish), prayer cards and spiritual pamphlets.
Other Catholic ministries at South Nassau include:
- Eucharistic ministers distribute Holy Communion Sunday through Friday.
- Holy Mass is celebrated each Sunday and Tuesday at noon.
- Catholic Communion Service is each Friday at noon in the Meditation Room, on the main floor in the "C" Wing.
- Sacraments of the Church, such as the Sacrament of the Eucharist, the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, and the Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Special observances, such as Ash Wednesday, the Blessing of the Throats (St. Blaise), Good Friday and many Holy Day liturgies.
Members of the Spiritual Care Team offer pastoral or rabbinical visits, access to all Shabbat hospitality, Jewish holiday, kosher food and other ritual needs.
Sabbath Hospitality House: Arrange with Spiritual Care Services to pick up a key weekdays, 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. After hours, contact hospital security. We’ll ask you to leave a picture ID while you have the key, and to please return it immediately after Shabbat or the Jewish holiday.
Kosher Pantry & Respite Room,“G” Corridor, ground floor: Relax here in recliners, and enjoy kosher foods and religious literature.
Kosher Meals & Foods:
In Your Room: We offer glatt kosher meals to our patients and visitors. Order your meal by calling the Food and Nutrition Department, ext. 3903 on hospital phones. Cost to visitors is $5. For patients admitted late in the day after meals are served, you can usually get frozen kosher entrees. Ask your nurse to request this service.
Kosher Pantry & Respite Room, “G” Corridor, ground floor. Relax here and enjoy fresh, kosher food that you can heat up.
Gift Shop & Café, hospital lobby: Our staff keeps freshly prepared kosher foods in our café. Hours: Weekdays, 7 a.m.–8 p.m. and weekends, 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
South Nassau provides a variety of services for those of the Muslim faith:
- Muslim clerics, including a Mufti, are on-call for you and your loved ones
- For prayer times and the Quran, English translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, contact the Spiritual Care office
- Our multi-faith Meditation Room, on the ground floor in the “C” wing, includes a Qibla indicator and a curtain for privacy during prayer
- Halal food is available in the Lobby Gift Shop
For any of our spiritual care services, talk to your nurse, or contact our Spiritual Care Team:
Our hospital Chaplain and Spiritual Care Team are available weekdays, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Call: (516) 632-4586
Page: Call (516) 632-3000, ask for pager #962
If the Spiritual Care Team is not available:
During the day and evening, from 9 a.m.–9 p.m., call the hospital information desk: (516) 632-3940
Late at night, from 9 p.m.–9 a.m., call the hospital switchboard: (516) 632-4000