Celebrating South Nassau’s Volunteers
Each spring, South Nassau administrators and members of the board of directors salute our volunteers for their tireless support and contributions of service. In 2014, nearly 370 volunteers were recognized for giving 49,797 hours of service to South Nassau, serving patients, family members, visitors, staff and physicians.
The 2015 theme, "South Nassau Volunteers Are Tea-rrific," highlighted the comfort and support volunteers provide. “Each of you is like a warm cup of tea,” said Anne Fernandez, director of Volunteer Services, "providing comfort to patients, staff and visitors by your presence."
The prestigious Five-Star award recipient for 2015 is Gaston "Gus" Scheers. The 90-year-old Oceanside resident, who plans to retire in June, began volunteering at South Nassau in 2001, first in Transportation and then in the Outpatient Dialysis Unit. Scheers has contributed more than 4,500 hours of service to the hospital, where staff members say his "work ethic and positive attitude has been an example to all."
Awards for Our Valuable Volunteers
South Nassau volunteers who received awards for their contributions of service during the most recent ceremonies:
- 50 Years of Service: June Kane, Ruth Fortin and Jean Silvers
- 25,000 Hours: June Kane
- 20,000 Hours: Susan Keller
- 17,000 Hours: Jane Reinert
- 14,000 Hours: Maida Cammarata
- 7,000 Hours: Frances Johnson
- 6,000 Hours: Anne Dennin, Hilda Friedman
- 5,000 Hours: Elizabeth Wood
- 4,000 Hours: Mary Becker, Eleanor F. Murphy, Mary Savino
- 3,000 Hours: Ronald Arroyo, Maureen Cantwell, Eric Matsil, Ruth McDade, John McGoff, Edward Reilly, Ethel Staley, Margaret Strangio
- 2,000 Hours: Norman Doctor, Jeff Eisen, Elaine Unger, Rosemarie Scarola, Donna Skoran
- 1,000 Hours: Ginger Berger, Earnestine Griffin, Mary Hisler, Vivian Horowitz, Christine Janosek, Sarah Kent, Adele Levine, Harri Meyers, Eileen Muirhead, Patricia Paynter, John Smith, Kathy Tuckruskye, Jonathan Vagnone, Frances Weiss
- 500 Hours: Louise Coscia, Judith Delaney, Lizette Dimitriadis, Susan Goldberg, Edward Hartnett, Sandra Jablons, Laurie Levine, Marilyn Loheide, Doris Metzger, Allen Parks, Evelyn Pignotti, Laurie Strohm, Jean Ventrello
- 350 Hours: Judith Connolly, Carole Flam, Kathleen McClellan, Eileen Mitchnick, Jessica Protheroe, Jayme Stuart
- 150 Hours: Akash Anrude, Bernard Aptacker, Greg Babus, Alberta C. Biscotti, Carl Borruso, Peggy Bronstein, Kevin Costello, Alan Dorman, Robert Dunwoody, Annabelle Issac, Jonathan Kaszuba, Madelyn Knee, Trudy Malmut, Stephanie M. Millien, Bibi Z. Nazamuddeen, Jerome Posnick, LeRoy Roberts, Dorothy Tannenbaum, Carole N. Weinberg
Want to volunteer? Apply today
Learn about the South Nassau Auxiliary — another way to volunteer
Become a Volunteer
The first step is to complete an application online. If you need help with it, you can use the computers at...
Each spring, South Nassau administrators and members of the board of directors salute our volunteers for their...
Junior Volunteer Program
South Nassau Communities Hospital welcomes junior high and....
Junior Volunteer Scholarships
Each year, South Nassau Communities Hospital recognizes local high school graduating seniors...