Services & Specialty Centers
Physical Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine
The outpatient physical therapy center at South Nassau Communities Hospital provides comprehensive care which includes physical, occupational and speech therapies all under one roof.
The physical therapy center provides a team approach in the management of many neurological impairments, traumatic injuries, musculo-skeletal injuries or disease processes like:
- Balance and vertigo
- Stroke (CVA)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Joint replacement
- Amputee and prosthetic training
- All orthopedic conditions
A full-time physiatrist is on site and is responsible for assisting in and managing the care provided at the center. The physiatrist also conducts electro-diagnostic testing (EMG) and BoTox® injections for the management of spasticity.
Combining the physiatrist's keen understanding of the body's mechanics and structure with a staff of experienced physical, occupational and speech therapists, we plan and implement personalized rehabilitative or therapeutic programs that promote short- and long-term health and wellness, with:
- Advanced diagnostic technology - High-tech tools, such as electro-diagnostic testing technology, determine the extent of a patient's functional deficit and the degree of nerve or muscle damage
- A wide range of rehabilitative and therapeutic equipment - Your therapeutic plan may include electrical stimulation, ultrasound, exercise machines and calisthenics, along with strength and conditioning equipment designed to rehabilitate specific joints or parts of the body
- Special therapies for breast cancer patients, including hand therapy and lymphedema therapy
- Comprehensive educational services - Our educational program includes the Total Joint Replacement Class for patients scheduled for hip or knee replacement surgery. The class provides vital information about the procedure, recovery, rehabilitation and patient-centered options. And because the road to recovery can be lonely and challenging, Department Chief Ernesto Capulong and his team offer an invigorating dose of encouragement, working closely with family members and the patient's primary care physician to develop and implement a successful rehabilitation program.
Special services include the evaluation and assessment of supportive devices you may need to help perform all activities of daily living, such as wheelchairs, bathroom devices and assistive devices.
Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Therapy (SMART) Center
The increase of sports - as well as work-related orthopedic injuries - and the growing number of people with neuromuscular, occupational or speech or hearing conditions - has increased the demand for specialized comprehensive rehabilitative and therapeutic medicine.
Our SMART Center is answering that need with a powerful combination of skilled care, advanced technology and inspiration that empowers the patient, eliminates dependence and reduces the possibility of recurring injuries. Here you'll find:
- Advanced diagnostic medical technology. Rehabilitation or therapy is based on a detailed assessment using the latest equipment. For example, state-of-the-art electromyography determines the extent of nerve or muscle damage, while a diagnostic computer program analyzes the scope of cognitive disorders.
- Individualized programs for almost any condition. From fractures, arthritis, and muscle, ligament or cartilage tears to neuromuscular problems resulting from conditions such as Parkinson's Disease and occupational deficiencies, including impaired judgement and memory loss, we create specialized rehabilitation or therapy programs to treat almost any condition.
- A team approach for the most effective treatments. Leading each therapy is a physiatrist and the area's most experienced specialists in physical therapy, occupational therapy, and cognitive therapy. This team works closely with your primary physician to ensure you make steady progress toward recovery.
- The latest in rehabilitative and therapeutic technology, including computerized bicycles and treadmills, upper body ergonometers, cybex weight equipment, ultrasound, electric simulation devices and sensory equipment.
For more information, contact (516) 255-8200.