Novalis Tx Radiosurgery
Radiosurgery is another term for “radiation” surgery, which is used to treat cancer and other abnormal tissues in the brain and various organs. South Nassau offers Long Island’s only Novalis Tx™ radiosurgery platform with SmartArc™ technology. This noninvasive surgical procedure provides pinpoint accuracy in the treatment of a wide range of malignancies (cancers) and other serious conditions, without harming nearby healthy tissue.
Patient benefits from Novalis Tx radiosurgery:
- Generally painless procedure performed on an outpatient basis
- Extremely precise targeting to reduce radiation damage to normal tissue
- Beam evenly distributes the radiation dose as guided by the physician
- Short treatment time, which helps protect healthy tissue and reduce errors caused by minor patient movements
- Only minor incisions needed for most brain treatments
- No scarring
- Little risk of infection
Types of conditions we treat with Novalis Tx radiosurgery:
- Acoustic neuromas (noncancerous growths that can affect hearing and balance)
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs, a tangle of abnormal blood vessels needed)
- Brain cancers and tumors, including gliomas, cavernous angiomas (abnormal blood vessels) and craniopharyngiomas (noncancerous tumors in the brain)
- Liver tumors and liver cancer
- Lung tumors and lung cancer
- Tumors of the pancreas
- Pelvic nodes
- Pituitary adenomas (noncancerous tumors of the pituitary gland)
- Prostate tumors
- Spinal tumors
- Trigeminal neuralgia (a chronic condition that causes face pain)
Gamma Knife® radiosurgery (radiation treatment) for brain cancer and brain abnormalities
Gertrude & Louis Feil Cancer Center
What to Expect
You’ll receive a brief description of the pre-treatment procedure, including what paperwork is required...
Every day, the expert cancer care professionals at South Nassau Communities Hospital...
At South Nassau, we want to make it easy for you to refer your patients. Please select from the available...
Please use the available resources below to stay connected and informed about your condition...
At South Nassau Communities Hospital, we’re focused on the health and well being of you and your family...