Urogynecology is a subspecialty of obstetrics and gynecology that focuses on the pelvic floor, including conditions related to the bladder, vagina, rectum and uterus. At South Nassau Communities Hospital, we’ve brought together experts in this subspecialty to form the Women’s Center for Pelvic Floor Disorders.
Our physicians here are fellowship-trained in pelvic surgery, board-certified in obstetrics and gynecology, and are among the first surgeons in the U.S. to be board-certified in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. Our specialists also have additional training in gynecologic laparoscopy (an alternative to traditional surgery that uses smaller incisions, for quicker recovery), as well as computer-guided hysterectomy using the da Vinci® Surgical System, plus a special interest in outpatient care, including outpatient laparoscopy.
We commonly treat women with:
- Excessive bleeding
- Fistulas, or opening between two organs, including from the vagina to the urinary tract (vesicovaginal fistula) or from the vagina to the rectum (colovaginal fistula)
- Hysterectomy, including computer-guided surgery
- Incontinence, both fecal (bowel) and urinary bladder
- Noncancerous diseases of the reproductive system
- Overactive bladder
- Stress incontinence (when pressure on the bladder causes urine to leak)
- Pelvic pain
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Sexual dysfunction
- Uterine fibroids
- Vaginal or uterine prolapse, in which vaginal organs prolapse, or fall lower in the body, due to gravity or to pressure on the abdomen
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Common women’s health conditions
Gynecological cancer care at South Nassau
Computer-assisted “robotic” surgery using the da Vinci Surgical System
Uterine fibroid embolization
Some of the more common conditions affecting women include: hysterectomy and treatment options......
Diagnosis & Treatment
Whether a condition is due to age, injury or cancer, our women’s specialists are experienced in a wide...
Urogynecology is a subspecialty of obstetrics and gynecology that focuses on the pelvic floor, including...
Cancer diagnosis and treatment are the strong focus of the women’s care specialists at South Nassau...
For genetic counseling, care for infertility and malignancies (cancer) of the reproductive tract...
At the South Nassau Center for Women's Imaging, our physicians and staff specialize in breast care...
Uterine Fibroid Embolization
South Nassau’s fellowship-trained interventional radiologists use minimally invasive...