Your Care and Treatment at the SMART Center
Our on-site physiatrist, a physician with specialized training and board certification in rehabilitation medicine, oversees each patient’s treatment plan and serves as a liaison between your team here and your referring physician. He also performs tests of nerves and muscles on-site, including electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction tests, as well as other treatments such as trigger point therapy and injections.
The SMART Center team also includes:
- Physical therapists and physical therapy assistants, who help you improve range of motion, strength, function, balance and gait (walking), as well as education
- Occupational therapists, who focus on improving your ability to do activities at both work and home, to help you maintain or regain independence
- Speech therapists, for a wide range of speech and swallowing disorders in children and adults
- Sports medicine specialists, who focus on recovery from and prevention of various sports injuries and sports-related procedures
We work with you to focus on realistic goals and create a treatment plan so you can reach the highest level of function possible. And we coordinate with other specialists you might see, as well as your primary care provider.
Some of the Conditions We Treat
Physicians, therapists and staff at South Nassau’s SMART Center treat over 16,000 patients a year with a range of conditions related to the nerves, bones and muscles. These include:
- Amputee and prosthetic training, including our Amputee Walking School
- Ankle sprains
- Balance and other vestibular (ear-related) problems, including vertigo and dizziness
- Joint replacement rehabilitation
- Lymphedema and hand therapy, to prevent or reduce swelling after chemotherapy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Neck and back injuries, including sciatica
- Neck, low back pain and joint pain
- Nerve entrapment, including carpel tunnel syndrome
- Neurological disorders, including neuropathy, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease
- Speech, swallowing and language disorders
- Sports injuries
- Therapy after surgery or other treatments, including joint replacements, ACL treatment, rotator cuff repairs, arthroscopic surgeries and spine surgeries
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
Our facility and treatments
Our on-site physiatrist, a physician with specialized training and board certification in rehabilitation medicine,...
We use a holistic approach that focuses on your medical condition and personal goals. Our team of experienced...
Insurance & Payment
The SMART Center accepts Medicare, Medicaid, no-fault, and workers’ compensation, as well as most...