Treatment at South Nassau’s SMART Center
We use a holistic approach that focuses on your medical condition and personal goals. Our team of experienced physicians and therapists creates a customized treatment plan for every patient using advanced, proven techniques and equipment. We believe that your active participation in therapy is vital to your success in both recovery and preventing reinjury. So education — for both patients and their loved ones — is part of our treatment plan.
Our Outpatient Rehabilitation Facility
The SMART Center’s 8,500-square-foot facility in Oceanside includes a wide range of equipment for rehabilitation and therapy. This includes a 3,400-square-foot “gymnasium” devoted to physical and occupational therapy.
Among the unique features and innovations that our staff has brought to the SMART Center are equipment proven effective by the latest research. For example, we offer:
- An innovative technology to improve hand and arm strength, the Bioness® system, which uses electrical impulses to control muscles in the hand and forearm used for reaching and grasping
- A weightless therapy system to reduce spinal pressure by allowing you to experience the sensation of movement while your body weight is suspended
- A polymetric machine to help you rebuild leg strength during a simulated jumping experience
- A Biodex Balance System™ SD to help patients with vestibular (ear-related) balance and dizziness problems
- Cybex exercise equipment for conditioning and strength
Other treatment options include low-dose electrical stimulation to reduce inflammation and pain; ultrasound to relax muscles and improve circulation; exercise and balance machines; and strength and conditioning equipment. We often use these therapies along with “manual” therapy, where trained therapists use their hands to massage, relieve pain or relax nerves, for example.
Your rehabilitation plan might include:
- Advanced technology to diagnose the extent of nerve and muscle damage
- Balance training, using exercises or specialized equipment
- Low-dose electrical stimulation to treat nerves and muscles
- Ergonomic training, to make sure you perform daily or work tasks in a way that lessens stress on joints and muscles, for example
- Fall prevention techniques
- Gait (walking) and stair training
- Manual techniques, where trained therapists use their hands to massage, relieve pain or relax nerves, for example
- Moist hot packs and cold packs
- Neurological (nerve) re-education
- Paraffin wax to provide warmth to deep tissue
- Posture education
- Soft tissue and joint mobilization
- Therapeutic exercise
Our staff and areas of expertise
Our on-site physiatrist, a physician with specialized training and board certification in rehabilitation medicine,...
We use a holistic approach that focuses on your medical condition and personal goals. Our team of experienced...
Insurance & Payment
The SMART Center accepts Medicare, Medicaid, no-fault, and workers’ compensation, as well as most...