Breast Screenings & Treatments
Advanced Technology and Experience
At the South Nassau Center for Women's Imaging, our physicians and staff specialize in breast care. And we focus on all aspects of care, including prevention, education, diagnosis and treatment. Our experienced, dedicated physicians, technologists and staff personalize the treatment plan for every patient. And reflective of our high quality and safety, we’ve been certified as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology.
Center for Complete Women’s Imaging offers a variety of high-tech equipment. And it’s designed specifically to ensure the best diagnosis and treatment of conditions of the breast:
- Our digital (computerized) 2D and 3D mammography uses advanced software that can increase breast cancer detection rates by up to 40 percent. Instead of X-ray film used in traditional mammography, this type of mammogram creates an image of the breast that is digital, or computerized. This offers several advantages:
- Digital imaging substantially assists the radiologist in evaluating the breast
- It decreases your exposure to X-rays as compared to traditional “film” X-rays
- For patients with dense breast tissue, digital mammography can increase breast cancer detection rate, especially in younger women
- High definition breast ultrasound, or breast sonography, is another technology we use to get an image of the breast. “High definition” means the image is especially detailed. Ultrasound uses sound waves, not X-rays or other radiation, to create the image. Studies have shown that breast ultrasound can detect breast cancers that mammography would otherwise miss, in high-risk patients with dense breasts. Breast ultrasound is often used:
- For pregnant women (since it does not use X-rays, it is safe for an unborn baby)
- For women with dense breast tissue who have a high risk for breast cancer
- To evaluate a lump or mass
- Breast MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) uses magnetism and radio waves, not X-rays or other radiation, to create an image of the breast. And it can detect cancers that might not be identified using other technology. We use breast MRI as a screening exam, along with mammogram or ultrasound, to detect cancer or other breast abnormalities. Your physician might also use breast MRI when a breast cancer has already been detected, to determine the extent of the disease and to aid in the planning for surgery and treatment.
If surgery or biopsy (tissue sampling) is part of your treatment plan, we use other state-of-the-art, computer-guided equipment that offers advanced precision and speed.
Breast cancer prevention & screening guidelines
Other services at the South Nassau Center for Women's Imaging
Breast Screenings & Treatments
At the South Nassau Center for Women's Imaging, our physicians...
Bone Density Screenings
At South Nassau Communities Hospital, a test call bone densitometry is the gold standard for measuring the...
Biopsy & Surgery
If a screening test or exam shows a lump or abnormality in the breast, thyroid or other organs, our experienced...
The radiologists and staff at the South Nassau Center for Women's Imaging know that mammography...
Contact Us / Appointments
For your convenience, you can contact us in several different ways...