Breast Cancer Expertise and Experience
At South Nassau Communities Hospital, patients who have recently learned they have breast cancer as well as others who have a recurrence turn to our experts for care. They trust in our breast care specialists’ years of advanced training in screening, diagnosis and treatment. And they know that for each patient, a range of compassionate experts in cancer treatment — from imaging to radiation and chemotherapy, surgery and recovery — can be part of their team here, close to work, home and loved ones.
We have worked with over 10,000 patients, performing mammograms, ultrasound and breast MRIs, as well as a range of treatments. And we’re especially proud of our efforts to treat breast cancer without mastectomy (removal of the breast) whenever possible.
We bring the latest tools and technology to our patients at South Nassau, all in a relaxed, comfortable setting. We participate in national quality initiatives through the Commission on Cancer, part of the American College of Surgeons.
At South Nassau Communities Hospital, we have assembled a wide range of experts to offer you compassionate, quality care. And to ensure you have the best treatment plan possible, these experts meet together during weekly cancer conferences to discuss options for each patient’s care.
Your team at South Nassau might include:
- Breast imaging specialists, fellowship-trained in breast and body imaging
- Board-certified radiation oncologists, physicians who specialize in radiation therapy, including procedures that successfully treat the cancer without requiring a mastectomy (removal of the breast)
- Dedicated breast surgeon
- Surgeon specializing in cancer
- Physician with special training in breast reconstruction
- Certified breast-patient nurse navigator, to help with setting up appointments, education and support
- Radiation therapists
- Mammography and ultrasound technologists
To help you and your loved ones before, during and after treatment for breast cancer, our experts at South Nassau Communities Hospital offer a range of state-of-the-art services, as well as comprehensive support and education, including:
Advanced Medical Services
For screening (early detection), diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, we offer:
- Advanced techniques and equipment for breast and lymph node biopsy, including computer-guided (or robot) ultrasound, MRI, stereotactic imaging and gamma imaging
- Fine needle aspiration (a type of biopsy) of breast tissue
- Staging of breast cancer
- Same-day results and consultation with a physician
- Advanced treatments, including chemotherapy, radiation and surgery
- Computer-assisted (or robotic) assisted procedures
- Breast reconstruction
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, at Center for Women’s Imaging at South Nassau
Compassionate Support and Education
Our staff can also connect you with these important resources:
- Breast Cancer Support Group
- Free boutique for wigs, scarves, bras, etc., for women with cancer (at South Nassau’s Gertrude & Louis Feil Cancer Center, in connection with the Hewlett House)
- Personal risk assessments for breast cancer
- Survivorship Care Plan, a thorough record of your care and diagnosis, to share with other caregivers after treatment is complete
- Community-based screenings and education
- SIBSPlace, support for children
- Networking and coordination of care with professionals of Hewlett House (links to another website), a resource for cancer patients in Hewlett, N.Y.
Gertrude & Louis Feil Cancer Center in Valley Stream
1 South Central Avenue
Valley Stream, NY 11580
South Nassau Center for Women's Imaging
440 Merrick Road
Oceanside, NY 11572
Our breast cancer experts
Computer-assisted (or robotic) procedures
Annual Long Island walk to fight breast cancer (links to another website)
National certifications for care and quality
Cancers We Treat
For all major types of cancer, you can rely on the expertise and experience of your health care providers at...
South Nassau offers the only cancer program on Long Island to offer the combination of the Novalis Tx™...
Your Care Team
The cancer (or oncology) program of South Nassau Communities Hospital makes cancer diagnosis, treatment and...
Gertrude & Louis Feil Cancer Center
In addition to the full range of cancer care and support at South Nassau Communities Hospital, we also offer...
At South Nassau Communities Hospital, patients who have recently learned they have breast cancer as well as...
For brain cancer and other conditions inside the skull, our experienced surgeons offer our patients the premier...
Cancer diagnosis and treatment are the strong focus of the women’s care specialists at South Nassau Communities...
At South Nassau Communities Hospital, if you need chest surgery for cancer or other conditions of the...
The expert colorectal physicians and surgeons at South Nassau Communities Hospital specialize...
Though melanoma is the least common type of skin cancer, it’s the most deadly. So South Nassau's Gertrude...
For men with conditions related to the prostate gland, the Center for Prostate Health offers experts who are...
Accreditations & Certifications
Every member of our staff in the cancer program at South Nassau is committed to bringing our patients the most...
Support & Education
Our cancer specialists are dedicated to providing support to you and your loved ones before, during and after...