We wish you could spend more one-on-one fun time with us. We miss you!
We wish that things were fair. Sometimes it seems like our siblings always
- get what they want and that they get away with everything and we don’t.
- We wish that you would stop hiding information about our siblings’ illnesses from us. We worry about our siblings and want to know how they are doing, in a way that we can understand.
- We wish you would help explain our siblings’ illnesses to us. Sometimes what we imagine can be worse then the truth.
We wish you could understand that sometimes we feel:SAD because we love our siblings and we want them to be well and at home with us.
ANNOYED when it seems like our siblings get special treatment.
ANGRY/MAD when you are with our siblings and not us- Also, we get mad when we don’t know what’s happening with our siblings.
JEALOUS because you spend more time with our siblings and they get more attention, gifts and special treatment. Sometimes we feel ignored.
LONELY when our siblings are in the hospital- We miss them and we miss you when you are with them.
CONCERNED/ANXIOUS because we want to know how our siblings are doing and feeling.
EMBARRASSED even though we love our siblings sometimes it’s uncomfortable to let others see or know about their illnesses because it makes us feel different.
SCARED that something bad might happen to our siblings or to us.
We wish you would stop fighting...it’s scary to us.
- We wish you didn’t have to wake us up at 2 am when you rush our siblings to the hospital. We worry about where we will spend the rest of the night. Also we can’t focus at school the next day because we are tired. Sometimes we just wish we could go back to sleep and this whole nightmare would go away.
- We wish you would be nicer to us sometimes. We know you are stressed but we spend so little time with you we want it to be fun and memorable.
- We wish we could go on family vacations and take pictures of happy times.
- We wish our families could do normal things like play games, basketball or sit and watch TV, while eating ice cream together. We know you are busy but we need to know you are there for us, too.
- We wish we knew for sure that when our siblings finally do come home from the hospital that they NEVER have to go back again. It seems that when life finally gets back to “normal” our siblings are rushed back into the hospital. It’s hard to be in a life that’s so out of control.
- We want you to know that we LOVE YOU very much and we know that you love us too!!!
If you are interested in learning more about SIBSPlace, please contact
Suzanne Kornblatt, LMSW, at (516) 374-3000.
“SIBSPlace…A Place Where A Child Matters Most!”
SIBSPlace • 1420 Broadway • Hewlett, NY 11557 • (516) 374-3000 • sibsplace.org