SIBSPlace was conceptualized to assist children who have brothers and sisters with cancer or another devastating illness. Now, we have expanded our mission to include children who have a parent with a devastating diagnosis. These children typically struggle with feelings of loss of control and consistency, isolation, jealousy, embarrassment, guilt, abandonment, sadness, fear and anxiety. At SIBSPlace, the children discover a safe environment where we balance attention to their emotional needs and much needed levity and diversions from stress. They are helped to develop the coping skills that will enable them to lead more effective lives today and in the future.
At SIBSPlace children are given a chance to enjoy the normal experiences of childhood, build memories of feeling cared for in a consistent environment and just laugh and have fun! Art, music and verbal activities are created to help the children develop trusting relationships with peers who are living through similar home situations. Professional staff and community volunteers at SIBSPlace are dedicated to providing an array of enriching opportunities to empower our participants. Thoughtful attention is paid to improving awareness and expression of feelings and needs.
SIBSPlace® Model Includes:
Creative Arts Activities:
- Lead by Professional Staff utilizing art and verbal discussions to enhance self awareness, self-expression, emotional vocabulary and to validate feelings/behaviors
- Provide preventative therapeutic support to the well siblings via psycho-education
- Encourage relationships between children to enable peer support and acceptance
Homework Assistance, Dinner, Free Time and Celebrations
- Create support for children through these common "family" routines
- Provide a consistent, stable and safe environment where children are able to express and explore their feelings with both staff and peers
- Offer much needed respite for parents, who can be confident that their well child is being nurtured and given attention at the program
- Birthdays and holidays are acknowledged to reinforce traditions and encourage families to bond and support each other
- Address the various social/emotional needs as they impact the various developmental stages of the participants
- Gain support, while normalizing experiences
- Provide education and increase parenting skills
Peer Engagement Field Trips
- Increase cultural experiences and promote sense of empowerment
Family Engagement Activities
- Increase family bonding, while creating positive memories during a difficult time in the family
Family Wellness Workshops
- Presentations on yoga, karate, meditation, cyber-bulling, mindful communication, first aid and care taking, and nutrition are offered to provide stress reduction techniques and awareness of important issues
Actually, SIBSPlace is like having an extended family. Children are encouraged to have fun, while they are being supported through their growth and development. Our program exists to enhance the lives of our SIBS kids so they always remember feeling special and important by those who took the time to listen, hear and care.
If you are interested in learning more about SIBSPlace, please contact
Suzanne Kornblatt, LMSW, at (516) 374-3000.
“SIBSPlace…A Place Where A Child Matters Most!”
SIBSPlace • 1420 Broadway • Hewlett, NY 11557 • (516) 374-3000 • sibsplace.org