- 16 Free Support Groups
- Free Blood Pressure and Prostate and Skin Cancer Screenings
- Flu Vaccinations
- CPR, Lamaze, Smoking Cessation and Weight Control Programs
Services & Specialty Centers
Complete health care – that’s South Nassau’s promise to the community. It’s a promise that can be counted on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This promise relies on South Nassau’s unique philosophy that the most efficient and effective health care is, first and foremost, preventive – then curative and therapeutic. Last year, more than 25,000 people took advantage of this opportunity.
The department that delivers South Nassau’s preventive medicine program is Community Medicine.
These classes are held regularly at the hospital and at numerous centrally located community sites. Call (516) 377-5333 to register for a class.
- Lectures - Wellness and health education lectures are provided monthly both at the hospital and in community settings.
- Support Groups - Another example of our commitment to our mission is by providing disease-related support groups for the community. Promoting health education and wellness, the support groups bring together health care experts and the community to address significant health issues in an intimate setting.
- Outreach - Provides health education programs that coincide with the monthly “National Health Observance Calendar”. These include “National Red Dress Day”; “National Women’s Heart Disease Month”; “National Minority Cancer Awareness”; “National Stroke Awareness”, “Prostate Cancer Awareness Month”; “American Diabetes Month”; “National Skin Cancer Prevention Screening Month”. The department also participates in community and faith-based health fairs to provide education and awareness in cooperation with community agencies, advocacy groups and national organizations.
- Screenings - Supplementing its educational efforts, the Department of Community Medicine coordinates the administration of free senior citizen flu and pneumonia vaccinations both in the community and the hospital, as well as blood pressure screening, educational conferences on cardiac health, Parkinson’s Disease and Diabetes, prepared childbirth programs, smoking cessation, weight control programs and Teddy Bear clinics. Prostate and skin cancer screenings are provided free of charge in cooperation with the American Cancer Society.
- Training - South Nassau is a designated American Heart Association (AHA) Community Training Center offering AHA courses including:
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Family & Friends
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Renewal courses