Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Gamma Knife used for?
The Gamma Knife is used to treat small–to medium–sized brain abnormalities such as:
- Benign and malignant brain tumors
- Functional disorders such as trigeminal neuralgia
- Arteriovenous malformations
- Acoustic Neuromas
- Brain Metastases
How does it work?
- Precisely focuses 192 cobalt–60 beams which converge on the target area
- Special software provides accurate, computerized treatment planning
- An Automated Positioning System (APS) helps position both the head frame and the patient
What are the benefits of Gamma Knife® surgery?
- No incision
- No bleeding
- Low risk of infection
- Treatment is painless and no overnight hospital stay is required, unlike traditional surgery
- No general anesthesia is required
- Fits your busy life – patients return to normal activities the day after treatment, rather than spending weeks healing and possible follow–up radiation and/or chemotherapy
[ Next ]