Nursing Education and Development Council
The purpose of the South Nassau Communities Hospital Nursing Education & Development Council is to define, implement, and maintain educational standards that promote professional growth and ongoing clinical competency throughout Patient Care Services.
The Nursing Education & Development Council
- Reviews annual educational needs through a needs assessment and sets goals.
- Ensures that educational plans meet the needs of nurse colleagues.
- Implements initiatives that support professional certification, advanced education, and membership in professional organizations.
- Collaborate with other team members, departments or disciplines
- Promotes partnerships with schools of nursing.
- Oversee annual educational needs assessment.
- Promote and assist in implementing annual goals for education and certification.
- Review all nursing educational offerings to ensure that practice and standards of practice are incorporated where appropriate.
- Oversee evaluation of nursing orientation and recommend revisions as appropriate.
- Communicate Council Activities through forums such as the SNCH Nursing Newsletter.
- Develop plan and process to encourage SNCH nurses to pursue certification.
- Develop processes for evaluation of nursing education programs.
- Collaborate with the Nursing Practice Council to ensure that staff are educated and knowledgeable regarding Code of Ethics for Nurses, Standards of Care, Practice and Performance, Staffing Standards, etc.
- Collaborate with the nursing Research Council to ensure all nursing educational offerings are evidence-based
- Ensure compliance with Magnet Standards related to education and professional development.
- Review, revise and/or develop departmental, house-wide policies and unit based, procedures and standards of practice related to professional nursing education and development.
- Network with peers on professional educational trends and issues
- Collaborate with other team members, departments or disciplines on educational initiatives
- Serve as a resource and support for the individual Unit Based Councils
- Actively conduct staff education
- Contribute to the Patient Care Services Strategic Plan
- Collaborate with colleagues from academia and other healthcare organizations
Staff RN Representatives from individual inpatient units or service areas
Nursing Practice Council Member
Nursing Research Council member