- CPR Training
- Parent Child Education program
- Multi-Cultural & Outreach Services
- Support groups
Services & Specialty Centers
South Nassau is an American Heart Association (AHA) designated Community Training Center.
Classes are available in:
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Family & Friends
- Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Renewal Courses
These classes are held regularly at the hospital and at numerous centrally located community sites. Call (516) 377-5333 to register for a class.
Health Events & Screenings
Our year-round schedule of health events includes a program of free lectures which focus on a variety of health topics - including "Stress, Chronic Disease and the Immune System" and "What's the Skinny on Cholesterol and Trans Fatty Acids" - for all community members. We also sponsor educational conferences on cardiac health, Parkinson's disease and diabetes, Lamaze programs, smoking cessation and weight control programs, as well as Teddy Bear clinics.
Supplementing our educational efforts, we also coordinate free:
- blood pressure screenings
- flu shots for senior citizens
- pneumonia vaccinations
- prostate and skin cancer screenings in cooperation with the American Cancer Society
Click here for schedule and locations.
To help you prepare for pregnancy, childbirth - and beyond - we also offer a Parent Child Education program through our Maternity Services department.
Multi-Cultural & Outreach Services
As a member of the Nassau County Minority Health Task Force, we're committed to providing increased access to health care services for all community members. Our latest initiatives include:
- Latino Physicians Forum
- Kosher meals
- Sabbath doors & elevators
- Hospitality suite
- Cultural Competency Steering Committee
- Ongoing health fairs & lectures
- CPR in Spanish
- Cultural Initiative Assistant
- Charity care and sliding scale arrangements
- CyraCom Phone for multi-language translations
- Translations of documents
- Mandatory cultural competency training for staff
- "Sensitivity to cultural competency" included in our Mission Statement (link to section
- Prenatal Program
- National Cancer Society Minority Health Week programs
- AHEAD Program - a minority high school and college administrative internship program
- Bilingual hospital directional signage
South Nassau sponsors 19 disease-related support groups serving our community. Promoting health education and wellness, the support groups bring together health care experts and the community to address significant health issues in an intimate setting.
|BARIATRIC SUPPORT GROUP
1st Tuesday Each Month, 7:00 PM
|BEREAVEMENT SUPPORT GROUP
Every Monday, 6:00 PM
|BREAST CANCER SUPPORT GROUPS
|CARE GIVER SUPPORT GROUP
Each Tuesday, 4:00 PM
|COMA RECOVERY ASSOCIATION
2nd Monday Each Month, 8:15 PM
For further information about these groups, please call the Department of Community Education at (516) 377-5333.