What is it? This procedure is also called lap band or gastric band surgery. For this procedure, a bariatric surgeon places a thin, adjustable ring — or gastric band — around the upper part of the stomach. This creates a new, smaller stomach pouch.
How is surgery done? The surgeon uses a laparoscope to position the band (“lap band”), which allows the surgery to be done through several small incisions in the abdomen, or stomach area.
Attend a free seminar:
Or call us (516) 374-8631.
How does this help me lose weight? The band regulates the flow of food between the upper and lower parts of the stomach, so you feel full sooner.
Advantages of LAP-BAND®
- It is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for people with a BMI of 30 or higher, if they have risk factors related to being obese
- Least invasive surgery for weight loss
- No intestinal rerouting; no cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel
- Reduced patient pain, hospital length of stay and recovery time
- Low risk of nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
- No risk of "dumping syndrome" typically associated with gastric bypass
- Adjustable band allows the surgeon to customize how food flows from one part of the stomach to the other, which is ideal for long-term weight loss
- Adjustments performed without additional surgery
- Approved for use during pregnancy
- Removable at any time; stomach generally restores to its original form
Disadvantages of LAP-BAND
- Weight loss tends to be less than with gastric sleeve or gastric bypass procedures
- There is still the risk of postsurgical weight gain
What to expect before, during and after surgery
Calculate Your BMI
BMI does not differentiate between body fat and muscle mass. Therefore, body builders and people who have a lot...
Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You?
At South Nassau’s Center for Weight and Life Management,...
What is it? For this procedure, a bariatric surgeon removes part of the stomach and shapes the remaining...
What is it? This procedure is also called lap band or gastric band surgery. For this procedure, a bariatric surgeon...
What is it? For this procedure, a bariatric surgeon creates a small pouch that bypasses the stomach and attaches...
If you have already had bariatric surgery and had complications or did not successfully lose weight, the experts...
The ORBERA™ Intragastric Balloon is a soft yet durable silicone balloon that is placed in the stomach for a six-month period...
What to Expect
South Nassau’s bariatric team is committed to your successful weight loss. So before your procedure, you’ll meet...
Research shows that having a healthy weight can bring wonderful health benefits. At South Nassau, our...
For anyone considering bariatric surgery at South Nassau's Center for Weight and Life Management, the first...
With over 4,000 weight loss surgery procedures performed, South Nassau has many patients to be very proud...
Your success in losing weight depends on you: how well you follow guidelines for diet, exercise and lifestyle...
Many health insurance plans cover bariatric surgery. However, coverage varies. So it's important to ask your...
Meet Our Team
At South Nassau Communities Hospital, we offer a team approach to weight loss. Our highly skilled bariatric staff...
Center of Excellence
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) has named South Nassau Communities Hospital's...
Interested in starting your weight loss journey? Contact Us...